I had some short stories, poems and photographs to share ... and so here I am

Just One Click

Gosh, Amazon really is clever. Another book arrived in the post today - The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion, which I am really looking forward to. This is another of my recent "one-click" purchases, a crafty way of getting book lovers like me to spend.

I just have to see the cover and then click to order, with all of my details already registered. I will have to be extremely careful with this; I could click and click and click until there was a whole container of books weighing down the ship.

Anyone read Didion's book? What did you think? I love the two lines on the cover: Life changes fast. Life changes in the instant. You sit down to dinner and life as you know it ends. I'm also waiting for Saturday by Ian McEwan and A Dry White Season by André Brink, an author I only discovered recently with Before I Forget.

I'm in this new phase, reading loads of books, while trying to write at the same time. For a few years I couldn't do this; I worried that what I was reading would influence what I was writing. I had spells of no reading, which only served to leave me listless and imcomplete. I'm still not sure what to think about this. Can my "voice" really be corrupted by someone else's to such a degree, especially if I find it brilliant. Let me know what you think.

No comments: