I had some short stories, poems and photographs to share ... and so here I am

Licking The Heat

I'm not complaining when I say that it's 42 degrees outside! Thank goodness for those large, leafy trees they have around here.

I am currently in the Basque country, San Sebastien, where everyone is shirtless and the air smells of sunscreen. We have ventured our way down from Nice, where we also called in to Vence and St Paul de Vence - this cute little place features in my novel and is also where James Baldwin used to live.

I have brought five novels with me and will enjoy having the time to get through them all. I am currently reading another Macmillan New Writing title - Across the Mystic Shore (I bought all six of the books that launched this imprint and I'm now on to the fourth). Having got this far, it is now clear there is a definite problem with the editing or checking of manuscripts. There are too many typos and small mistakes. This is not the fault of the authors. I would suggest that MNW needs to invest some extra time in proof reading when the book is set. I will come back to this later when I review this latest book. I'm only three chapters in, but so far so good in terms of the story.

I'm also taking loads of photos, jotting down verses for poems and nutting out the chemin of my new novel. After here we're heading for Bilbao and then a graceful descent down the coast of Portugal - Porto and Lisbon included.

I will sign in again when I get the chance. I hope you are all green with envy, unless of course you're in fancier quarters!

5 comments:

Mike Vecchio said...

Green with envy? Never. Not when one is soaking in the "local color", taking notes and gearing up for a new work. I find insitu is a way to connect with the reader in a powerful, emotional way. So, from my perspective glad you're enjoying it!

adieu tristesse said...

Absolutely! I hope the time will soon come for my vacation, eventually… Enjoy it.

Unknown said...

Well I'm not green with envy yet, even if me and the fan are struggling with the Paris heat. I've been to Vence and St. Paul de Vence (don't think I'd read Another Country then, so hadn't developed my complete adoration of James Baldwin). Spent a few days in St. Sebastien a long time ago and watched a dolphin leaping about in the harbour still looking for fish! The best thing about Bilboa was the Guggenheim, it's as fantastic outside as it is in. And then you're hitting some spots I haven't been too, that's when I'll get green.

Maxine Clarke said...

Hasn't quite been that hot in the UK over the past couple of weeks, Shameless, but not that far off. I think of you while doing my version of basking in it, on the Thameslink!

Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! http://www.car-insurance-3.info Largest male penis http://www.longitude-swimwear-size-12.info/Xenical.html Allegra+price bondage equipment kamaha sutra hentai cigarette sex slave torture home books business bdsm torture cunt Nude teen girls on web cams free 900 auto part saab used